Baystate Medical Center, the Western Campus of Tufts University School of Medicine, offers a mentored research program for eligible college and medical students who are exploring the potential of a career in medical, biomedical, public health, or behavioral health research. Find out who is eligible and how to apply.
The 10‑week summer program offers you the opportunity to participate a research project from start to finish and present project outcomes to the scientific community. Formal classroom training and personalized application in research design, implementation, and publication make this summer experience an outstanding opportunity for students considering a career in biomedical research. Take a look at some recent student projects.
What to Expect
As a Summer Student Scholar, you will participate in the conduct of medical research that is part of a larger project. Your experience is designed for you and under the direct mentorship of a full-time faculty member of Tufts University School of Medicine. Under your mentor’s guidance you deliver two oral presentations: your project’s hypothesis and specific aims at the end of the first week of the program, and your research results at the program’s conclusion. Presentations are held before the Baystate Medical Center mentors and Summer Student Scholars.
In addition to your hands-on research experience, you participate in lectures on the basics of research and seminars where practicing investigators share their own research experiences. You may elect to attend the many scientific lectures and clinical conferences offered throughout Baystate Medical Center.
- provide interns with the fundamentals of clinical research design and conduct
- provide interns with practical experience in one or more phases of clinical research
- provide a synergistic environment where students can interact with one another to address research questions and promote independent, self-directed learning
- assist BMC clinical faculty in conducting research
2013 Program Dates & Time Commitment
- Monday, June 3, 2013 – Friday, August 9, 2013.
- You must be available full time (at least 40 hours per week) during the dates of the program.
A stipend of $3,500 is awarded to Summer Scholars for the 10-week period.
Housing & Parking
Baystate Medical Center does not offer housing; parking is available at no charge.